Skip to main content

OPED

 American Energy Use: The Effects of Technological Consumerism

Recently on a business tour, my tour group was asked the question: Is the world getting better or worse? With the slide being filled with pictures of SpaceX rockets, satellites, and futuristic electric vehicles, my group and I all subconsciously understood that this question was in the context of whether or not technological advancement was for the betterment of humankind. While the internet allows us to learn faster than ever, cars allow us to experience mobile freedom, and indoor AC allows us to be more comfortable than ever, these technological advancements promote us not only to consume a detrimental amount of energy, but also to become concerningly comfortable in excessive energy and technological consumption.  

But that is not to say technological progression and how rapidly it has progressed is not amazing in itself; it is amazing how quickly humans have been able to develop into the world we know today. Technological progress throughout the past two hundred years has reached impressive achievements in an extraordinarily small amount of time relative to mankind’s existence. To put this more into perspective, throughout humanity's extensive three hundred thousand year existence, modern industrial cars have only existed for the last two hundred years, and the fact that we strive to improve and have been able to exemplify this desire for improvement over the last two hundred years is changing the world for the better. With the introduction of the internet, global communication, and the spread of culture and information, this spread of technology, creativity, and a desire to improve is not plateauing any time soon. 

However, while this advancement is truly inspiring to see and experience, this rapid advancement comes with a new and more detrimental mindset: America’s excessive technological use and excessive consumption is normal and reasonable. We are becoming increasingly comfortable with this idea, but when looking at the numbers closely, our comfort is extremely dangerous. To illustrate this, my world history teacher, who was formerly a college professor in my hometown, introduced me to an activity that compared American energy consumption to the energy consumption of other countries. It began with a series of bubbles, lines of various questions, and each with points marked beside them. Each question tested the class’ energy consumption in a certain field whether it was in transportation, home energy, or food. After our activity, the accumulation of worksheets revealed that on average, in a private school class, if everyone in the world were to live their lives like my class, humankind would require 34 Earths, ultimately illustrating America’s overconsumption. Furthermore, while other countries utilize public transportation, motorbikes, and energy efficient fans rather than AC, Americans rely on our heavy cars, long commutes, and the perfect room temperature of 70 degrees. Our comfortable energy use is especially dangerous in the way that it disproportionately affects those who are either more energy efficient or off the energy footprint grid like Tuvalu and the Soloman Islands, and oceans away from the main consumers. 

In regards to whether or not technological advancement is improving lives or destroying them, this comfort in consumption ultimately stemmed from humankind’s first breakthrough in technological advancement: the period of post-industrialization. With technologically advanced factories and systems promoting the mass production of department store products, extravagant shopping experiences, and the automotive industry, America experienced its first taste of technologically driven consumerism. In other words, the creation of our consumer sector was inherently due to humankind’s technological advancements, and it has grown to be extremely excessive and far from what is considered sustainable for human kind since then. 

However as I said before, technological progress ultimately has been driven by a desire to improve; While there are many who are comfortable with our unclean energy, there are also others who strive to improve our energy problem whether it is through nuclear energy, solar energy, or factories aiming to become carbon neutral. Furthermore, while our hungry need for consumption will continue to grow, perhaps technological advancements will take a turn towards revolutionizing our consumption towards sustainability. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4: Computational Thinking

  Part 1: First Day of Computational Thinking My Prior Experience:     My previous coding experience was very limited before I started. I was once a sufficient programmer able to make designs on Code.org from AP Computer Science Principles with coding tools ranging from variables to functions; I was even able to make Wordle on my own time! However, this was all during my freshman year and in javascript, so as a rising senior, I have since then forgotten how to program. With this in mind, I decided to do the intro to Python on Codecademy to give myself a refresher. What I learned:     Today I learned Python's syntax since I was previously familiar with the syntax of javascript, it was interesting to see the simplicity of Python. However despite the relatively simpler syntax, there were still some new functions that I had to learn, such as the use of %s to recall certain strings.  How Far I Advanced: I reached to step 1 on Functions Part 2: ChatGPT Bias Based on the articles that I r

Day 1: Self Driving Car Dilemma

Today we were presented with an scenario and given a personal narrative as a programmer hired to design a self-driving car.  The scenario: Our company's self driving car is driving on the highway behind a semitruck carrying a strapped load, and it's boxed in on either sides by an SUV and a motorcyclist. Suddenly, large boxes unexpectedly fall of the loaded truck, in the trajectory of our self-driving car. In this moment, our car cannot stop in time to avoid the boxes, so we are presented with three choices .  Go straight into the boxes Swerve towards the SUV Swerve towards the motorcyclist My Choice:   Why I Would Program the Car to Drive Straight     Driving a self-driving car ultimately comes with its own risks, one of them potentially being that at times, the computer will make the decision for you. In this scenario, I believe that the most ethical option is taking the hit for yourself without purposefully deciding to involve other vehicles on the road. Specifically with thi

Introducing the Blogger: Katie Lam

   Hello! My name is Katie Lam, and I was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee. At GSSE, I am studying Industrial and Systems Engineering and I'm looking forward to the field trips this month! During my free time I love to listen to music (Dominic Fike, Shelly, Slow Pulp, Tyler the Creator and more), cook, and rock climb at my local gym. This summer I've been influenced to try out pickleball, so hopefully I'll be on the UTK courts during my time here! Pictured: SMS Climbing Club in Memphis Rox