Skip to main content

QR Code

 

QR Code to Katie's Blog

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 4: Computational Thinking

  Part 1: First Day of Computational Thinking My Prior Experience:     My previous coding experience was very limited before I started. I was once a sufficient programmer able to make designs on Code.org from AP Computer Science Principles with coding tools ranging from variables to functions; I was even able to make Wordle on my own time! However, this was all during my freshman year and in javascript, so as a rising senior, I have since then forgotten how to program. With this in mind, I decided to do the intro to Python on Codecademy to give myself a refresher. What I learned:     Today I learned Python's syntax since I was previously familiar with the syntax of javascript, it was interesting to see the simplicity of Python. However despite the relatively simpler syntax, there were still some new functions that I had to learn, such as the use of %s to recall certain strings.  How Far I Advanced: I reached to step 1 on Functions Part 2: ChatGPT Bias Based on the articles that I r

Day 1: Self Driving Car Dilemma

Today we were presented with an scenario and given a personal narrative as a programmer hired to design a self-driving car.  The scenario: Our company's self driving car is driving on the highway behind a semitruck carrying a strapped load, and it's boxed in on either sides by an SUV and a motorcyclist. Suddenly, large boxes unexpectedly fall of the loaded truck, in the trajectory of our self-driving car. In this moment, our car cannot stop in time to avoid the boxes, so we are presented with three choices .  Go straight into the boxes Swerve towards the SUV Swerve towards the motorcyclist My Choice:   Why I Would Program the Car to Drive Straight     Driving a self-driving car ultimately comes with its own risks, one of them potentially being that at times, the computer will make the decision for you. In this scenario, I believe that the most ethical option is taking the hit for yourself without purposefully deciding to involve other vehicles on the road. Specifically with thi

Introducing the Blogger: Katie Lam

   Hello! My name is Katie Lam, and I was born and raised in Memphis, Tennessee. At GSSE, I am studying Industrial and Systems Engineering and I'm looking forward to the field trips this month! During my free time I love to listen to music (Dominic Fike, Shelly, Slow Pulp, Tyler the Creator and more), cook, and rock climb at my local gym. This summer I've been influenced to try out pickleball, so hopefully I'll be on the UTK courts during my time here! Pictured: SMS Climbing Club in Memphis Rox